You’ve heard about the thousands of low income Detroit residents whose water has been shutoff by the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD). These shutoffs have continued despite appeals from local residents, discount cialis click national groups and international organizations like the United Nations.
Please lend your voice and support to end these shutoff by signing one or more of the petitions below. Your actions will demonstrate to the DWSD, the Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder, and President Obama that people across the U.S. — across the world! — say water is a human right!
Without water, all life withers and dies within a few days. Babies, the elderly and people who are ill are especially vulnerable to disease and sickness. Whole communities are at risk of public health crises from a lack of proper sanitation and hygiene. Most of all, water is a natural resource that belongs to everyone and must be publicly managed by communities, not profiteers and corporations.
Thank you for defending the human right to water!
More Online Petitions:
- Oppose Detroit Water Shutoffs, Unitarian Universalist Service Committee — Target: Mayor Michael Duggan, DWSD Director Sue McCormick, and Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr, updated 7/18/14.
- Sign the petition: Declare a public health emergency in Detroit, Daily Kos — Target: President Obama and Health Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell, 7/16/14.
- Grant Emergency Assistance to Families Affected By Detroit Water Shutoffs!, White House Petitions — Target: President Obama, 7/12/14. CLOSED
- Provide disaster relief to the thousands of Detroit residents without clean drinking water due to city water shutoffs, Color of Change — Target: Michigan Governor Rick Snyder and Detroit Emergency Manager Kevin Orr, 7/11/14.
- Tell Detroit to turn the taps back on: Water is a human right!, Blue Planet Project — Target: President Obama and Gov. Snyder, Summer 2014.
- Sign the Petition to Keep DWSD Publicly Accountable, Food & Water Watch — Target: Elected officials, Summer 2014.
- Preserve Water as a Human Right by Investigating Detroit Water and Sewage Department’s Water Shut-offs., Change.org — Target: President Obama and Governor Snyder, Summer 2014.
- Turn Running Water Back on for Thousands, ForceChange.com — Target: Sue McCormick, Director Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, Summer 2014.