Thousands of “bloggers, newsmakers, social justice advocates, labor and organizational leaders, grassroots organizers and online activists” are converging this week in the Motown City to connect and report on the issues most important to Detroiters and citizens of the world!
|At Cobo Center in Downtown Detroit.|
Detroit activists like us are excited to share many of the pressing issues we’re working on to advance the people’s right to water, housing, food, education, living wages and more! Find out more about the Detroit water shut-off crisis here and through our partner the People’s Water Board.
Stay posted as we post more information here in coming hours and days!
MWRO Union Members
Welcome the Canadian Water Convoy to Detroit on July 24, 2014 on People’s Water Board facebook page, 7/16/14.
- A year into Detroit’s bankruptcy, many residents still feel abandoned in L.A. Times, 7/16/14.
- Detroit Water Shut-offs Declared ‘Major Health Disaster’ by RNs in National Nurse United, 7/15/14.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, In re: City of Detroit, Debtor Objection to “Plan of Adjustment”:
Testimony by Kristen A. Hamel, Detroit resident and homeowner at Moratorium Now!, 7/15/14.
- Detroit must do what is right – turn the water back on (guest column) in Detroit Free Press, 7/14/14.
- No Water For Motown: Why Detroit Is Denying Its Citizens This Basic Human Right
in The Nation, 7/11/14.
- ‘Escalating Resistance’ in Detroit as Residents Block Water Shut-Offs’ in Common Dreams, 7/10/14.
- Going Without Water in Detroit in New York Times, 7/3/14.
Water is a Human Right: Detroit Residents Seek U.N. Intervention as City Shuts Off Taps to Thousands on Democracy Now, 6/24/14.
Sign the petition: Declare a public health emergency in Detroit — Target: President Obama and Health Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell, 7/16/14.
- Tell Detroit to Turn the Taps Back On: Water Is A Human Right! — Target: The White House, 7/12/14.
- Provide disaster relief to the thousands of Detroit residents without clean drinking water due to city water shutoffs — Target: Michigan Governor Rick Snyder and Detroit Emergency Manager Kevin Orr, 7/11/14.
MWRO Water Affordability Program
- Outline of the MWRO Water Affordability Program — this is based on the original 2005 proposal from water specialist Roger Colton.