Despite overwhelming odds, the Green Party’s Presidential and Vice Presidential Candidates, Cynthia McKinney and Rosa Clemente, have been criss crossing the country meeting with voters and discussing their platform. But you’d never know it given the lack of mainstream media coverage on their “Power to the People” campaign. Regardless, they have put forth 10 points that should be considered by Congress concerning the current Wall Street financial crisis. We believe they are on target and should be fully considered:
- Enactment of a foreclosure moratorium now before the next phase of ARM interest rate increases take effect;
- Elimination of all ARM mortgages and their renegotiation into 30- or 40-year loans;
- Establishment of new mortgage lending practices to end predatory and discriminatory practices;
- Establishment of criteria and construction goals for affordable housing;
- Redefinition of credit and regulation of the credit industry so that discriminatory practices are completely eliminated;
- Full funding for initiatives that eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in home ownership;
- Recognition of shelter as a right according to the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights to which the U.S. is a signatory so that no one sleeps on U.S. streets;
- Full funding of a fund designed to cushion the job loss and provide for retraining of those at the bottom of the income scale as the economy transitions;
- Close all tax loopholes and repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the top 1% of income earners; and
- Fairly tax corporations, denying federal subsidies to those who relocate jobs overseas repeal NAFTA.
Learn more about the Mckinney-Clemente 2008 Campaign.